Nancy can be considered as a new city, as it emmerged only in the eleventh century. Its grace rises mostly from the eighteenth century with Stanislas Leszczynski, Louis the Sixteenth’s step-father. Stanislas, an eagerly architectural builder, decided then to build a important set of magnificent squares to reunite the old Nancy to the new city, and this, for the mere glory of his son in law, and the boundless love he had for his daughter, Marie-Antoinette. These places were the Place de la Carrière, the Place d’Alliance and among the three, the solemn and magnificent Place Stanislas.
The Stanislas square, attributed to Héré de Corny, constitutes one of the rare architectural example of Rococo in France. The ironwork of the gates were masterly crafted by the talented Jean Lamour.
This Iron lace supplemented by the banister of the Hotel de Ville’s staircase and the fifty six balconies of the buildings that surround the place required several years of work (1751-1755). Despite the Rococo style which inspired that enormous wrought, the integrality of the work maintains an incomparable equilibrium and proportion.
The Stanislas square at night is the most elegant to be in Nancy. In summer, the access is prohibited to traffic and the square hosts several cultural shows of great quality.
On the west side of the square stands the musée des Beaux-Arts.
This museum hosts a particularly rich collection of classical Italian and French school, as well as some important modern masters. However it is somewhat deceiving that the connection with Lorraine artists such as Georges de Latour, Callot and le Lorrain is not stressed. Among several great paintings by Tintorreto, Rubens, Delacroix, Modigliani, Manet, Bonnard, Wlaminck, Vuillard, Signac, Dufy and Matisse; stands the wonderful Annunciation by Carravagio. A room is dedicated to some wonderful works from the Ecole de Nancy and Art Nouveau periods (Works from Gallé and Daum).
Walk under the Arch of Triumph, and you will reach the former Ducal Palace through the Place de la Carrière. There, spreads the Musée Historique Lorrain.
This museum deals with all aspect of Lorraine’s history: Paintings, archeology, sculptures, furniture, tapestries etc…
It has all that the musée des Beaux-Arts is missing concerning Lorraine’s past.
It contains several etchings and engravings from Jacques Callot (1592-1635), and Georges de Latour is well represented.
In the church of the Convent of the Cordeliers across the museum, you can visit the tomb of the Dukes of Lorraine and the ducal chapel.